Arts & Culture
Paying homage to its rich history, Maui boasts a vibrant arts and culture scene that uses varied art forms, historical sites, galleries, gardens and cultural centers to share Hawaii’s storied past with visitors. Each experience is a unique look into the people, culture and traditions that shaped and influenced modern day Hawaii. An integral part of the Hawaiian lifestyle, local artists and artisans continue to expand their influence by creating a wide range of products, from hip fashion to traditional and contemporary crafts.
For planning assistance, please call (808) 891-4506 or email WBVConcierge@DestinationHotels.com for suggestions, times of operation and tickets.
- Maui Craft Guild – A fine crafts local artists cooperative that exhibits juried work in ceramics, textile, glass, woodwork, photography and printmaking.
- Maui Hands – Four art galleries representing more than 300 Hawaiian artists that showcase distinctive Hawaiian gifts, jewelry, home furnishings and accessories.
- ARTwalk at The Shops at Wailea – A monthly event for art lovers to peruse six fine art galleries and meet the artists.
- Lahaina Walking Tour – A self-guided 1-2 hour tour that takes you to 28 historical sites dating back to when Front Street was one of the busiest whaling ports in the world.
- Makawao History Museum – Paying tribute to the Makawao’s upcountry community, this museum hosts exhibits on plantations, ranching, schools and churches, polo, and ethnic groups.
- Bailey House Museum – This stone house, the former royal residence of Kahekili II, last ruling chief of Maui, is now listed in the National Register of Historic Places and contains diverse exhibits on two floors of the historic residence.
Hawaiian Culture & History
- Kō‘ie‘ie Fishpond – The only Hawaiian cultural fishpond canoe tour on Maui, guests will be introduced to the Hawaiian language and culture as they glide by the walls of the fishpond and explore the marine environment and listen to the traditional Hawaiian chants delivered by their guide.
- Piʻilanihale Heiau – Located in the Kahanu Gardens in Hana, the Heiau (place of worship) is the largest sanctuary on the Island of Maui and is one of the most
- Maui Nei Expeditions – Unique experiences with native Hawaiian cultural specialists that visit significant yet lesser known revered sites in Lahaina.
Performance and Interaction
- Maui Arts and Cultural Center – A performing arts facility with indoor and outdoor stages, art galleries and dance studios.
- Hui Noʻeau Visual Arts Center – A unique interactive arts center that offers workshops, lectures, art events and exhibitions.
- 'Ulalena Show in Lahaina – A theatrical production that conveys an artistic portrayal of some of Hawaii’s famed legends.