Fun facts about Valentine's Day:
- Valentine greetings were popular as far back as the Middle Ages, though written Valentine’s didn’t begin to appear until the 15th Century.
- The first mass produced Valentine's Day card in the US appeared in the year 1840.
- It is estimated that over 1 Billion Valentine's Day cards are sent annually.
- Over 35 Million heart shaped boxes of Chocolates are sold.
- Over 220 Million roses are produced.
- An estimated $20 Billion dollares is spent on this holiday, with the average per person spend of $130.
- An estimated $4 Billion dollars is spent on jewelry.
- Over 6 Million couples will get engaged on February 14th.
The modern cliché Valentine's Day poem can be found in the collection of English nursery rhymes Gammer Gurton's Garland (1784):
The rose is red, the violet's blue,
The honey's sweet, and so are you.
Thou art my love and I am thine;
I drew thee to my Valentine:
The lot was cast and then I drew,
And Fortune said it shou'd be you.
At Skamania Lodge, we are celebrating Valentine's the entire month of February. To learn more about our month of romance specials, click here.
Happy Valentine's Day!