First opened to the public in 1872, Cliff House has been welcoming guests to the scenic shores of Ogunquit, Maine, for generations. Over the years there have been substantial renovations and additions to the resort, which during World War II served as a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers radar station that searched the waters for Nazi U-boats. Most recently, the property closed in October 2015 to undergo a dramatic transformation headed by design firm TruexCullins and architect Nate Williamson of Cooper Carry. The updated resort will open this July, but Architectural Digest gets a first look at the metamorphosis.
The hotel’s 134 accommodations range from luxurious suites adjacent to the 9,000-square-foot spa to a quaint New England–style cottage. While some of the coastal-chic rooms, decorated in a soothing blue-and-beige palette, offer fireplaces, each has a private terrace with grand ocean views. Two of Cliff House’s culinary options have also been transformed. There’s the property’s signature restaurant that serves regional dishes created from locally sourced ingredients (including vegetables from nearby farms and fresh fish caught just offshore), with an adjacent indoor-outdoor craft cocktail and beer bar; and, of course, a lobster shack.
The July opening celebrates the completion of the first phase of renovations, with phase two (including an adults-only pool and the addition of more guest rooms) scheduled to wrap up in spring 2017. From $450/night; cliffhousemaine.com.