Winter Travel Hacks: 5 Tips to Pre-plan Like a Boss
While it may be fall, there is no better time than now to think winter. Inevitably, winter will come and with it will come the holidays, long weekends and of course, an array of justifications to call-in and play hookie. Whether you’re looking to shred powder-perfect mountains or ride the surf to sandy shores, there are several things you can do now to make your travel dollar go farther this winter.
1. Book early. If you know where you want to go, why wait? Prices go up as rooms are booked and availability decreases. Many resorts, including Destination Hotels, will push out their best promotions now through September to try and “pre-load” the next season. Some of you may be thinking, why book now, if I can with last minute bookings too? While last minute savings can also be a good strategy, if your getaway requires other travel components like airfare, transportation, or planned outings, you do run the risk of heading to Bonkersville, so is that approach worth the sanity? That’s your call.
2. Buy direct. While there are many third-party sites like Expedia or Travelocity that sell hotel, airfare and more, your best bet is to go direct. On average, you can save between 10 and 20 percent when you book direct plus you earn loyalty currency and you might even score some bonus perks in the process. And if for whatever reason, you do find a more affordable rate on one of these sites, Destination Hotels offers Best Rate Guarantee so you can always call the resort and request them to match the rate.
3. Bonus partner benefits. Before you go, ask the resort what third-party partners are in their network and if these partners provide services or discounts to guests staying at the resort. For example, Destination Hotels has forged partnerships with American Express, BabyQuip, The Tie Bar and Nest Fragrances. Each of these partnerships afford guests benefits that range from complimentary breakfast and room upgrades to baby gear like highchairs and cribs being delivered and set up in your room to booking private tie and/or fragrance consultations during your stay.
4. Pick your accommodations. One size does not fit all and that goes for accommodations too. Depending on the size of the group traveling, sometimes a hotel room is not the best option. While VRBO and Airbnb have gained traction among travelers, Destination Hotels has been in the business of providing vacation rentals for over 45 years. Spanning from hotel rooms, condos, townhomes and private residences, Destination is your one-stop-shop for all your travel needs by combining spacious accommodation options with hotel-inspired amenities and services. Think housekeeping, front desk, concierge, pool and more. Uhm, yes please and thank you.
5. Concierge, how may I help you? Since you’re booking early, hit up the concierge now to help you book reservations to all the hot spots (restaurants, excursions, tours, etc.) that are usually overbooked once winter is in full swing. Every property in the Destination Hotel collection, be it a resort, condo-resort or a residence, have a concierge or local expert that is waiting for your call. Don’t keep them waiting!
There you have it. It might be summer, but just amp up the air conditioner and embrace the chills and savings of mentally fast-forwarding a few months to winter.