Nothing captures the true essence of a place like it's local food scene, and let's face it - a stocking full of gourmet sea salt and cooking tools is a lot more exciting than fuzzy slippers and a new sweater. We tapped into our local teams in three of America's hottest food cities - San Diego, Denver, and Seattle, to get their take on the best holiday gift ideas for foodies. Here's nine culinary gifts and gadgets that made the cut.
1. Joule cooking gadget, Available online at ChefSteps. About Chef Steps: Founded in 2012, this Seattle-based food and technology company is on a mission to help people cook smarter. Chefsteps.com and its companion app are designed to inspire creativity and encourage experimentation through high-quality interactive content, techniques, tools, and resources. Photo courtesy of ChefSteps.
2. A Boat A Whale, A Walrus, a book by Renee Erickson. Available online at Renee Erickson. About the author: One of the country's most acclaimed chefs, Renee Erickson is a James-Beard nominated chef and the owner of several Seattle restaurants: The Whale Wins, Boat Street Café, The Walrus and the Carpenter, and Barnacle. This luscious cookbook is perfect for anyone who loves the fresh seasonal food of the Pacific Northwest. Photo courtesy of The Whale Wins.
3. Rachel’s Ginger Beer, available online and in almost every neighborhood of Seattle. Find them year round at the Capitol Hill Farmers Market, University District Farmers Market and Columbia City Farmers Market June-Oct. For the largest selection of Ginger Beer flavors, visit the flagship store in Pike Place Market. Photo courtesy of Rachel’s Ginger Beer.
4. La Vaca Premium Colorado Beef Jerky, Original, Hot, or Honey Glazed, available at La Vaca Meat Company in Littleton, CO, or online at La Vaca Meat Co. Photo courtesy of La Vaca Meat Co.
5. Pixán Coffee Fruit Infusions are available throughout Denver at at Corvus Coffee, The Market on Larimer, Curtis Park Deli, Purple Door Coffee, Drip Denver, and Alfalfa’s, as well as online at Pixán. Photo courtesy of Pixán.
6. Colorado Chile Peanut Brittle is available at Elevate Coffee Bar and Fireside Bar & Grill inside The Inverness Hotel in Englewood, CO.
7. A bottle of Buon Appetito’s House-made Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing, available in Little Italy, San Diego at The Market by Buon Appetito. This salad dressing is so addicting, people will travel from miles and miles to pick up a coveted bottle.
8. A tub of Bitchin’ Sauce, available at any San Diego farmer’s market, and quickly expanding to several national grocery stores.
9. A five-pack sampler of Salt Farm gourmet sea salt, available at the Little Italy and Hillcrest farmer’s markets in San Diego, and on the Salt Farm Etsy shop. Photo courtesy of Salt Farm.
Tempted to take a trip to grab these gifts in person? Check out these hotels and resorts in San Diego, Denver, and Seattle: