An Old Fashioned Ice Cream Recipe
This pairs perfectly with all your fall desserts
Annika De Paula Loureiro, the new executive pastry Chef at the Carolina Inn, loves making sweet treats, but it’s sweet cream ice cream she has an extra soft spot for. Below, she shares one of her favorite recipes for a simple, but sublime ice cream. As for why chose this gourmet ice cream recipe? “My grandfather ran an ice cream shop, and so did my uncle growing up,” says Loureiro. “There’s love in there. The textures and flavor come through perfectly.”
Old-fashioned sweet cream ice cream
2 cups milk
2 cups heavy cream
14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
Salt to taste
1 vanilla bean
- Heat half of the milk, then mix with all of the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla bean that has been split and scraped.
- When the mixture is warm and the condensed milk has thoroughly melted, whisk the mixture (while it’s still in the pot) over a bowl of ice to cool it.
- Pass the cooled base through a chinois or fine strainer to collect the vanilla bean pod, and into a clean medium sized bowl.
- Add the remaining milk, all of the heavy cream, and whisk lightly. Be careful not to over mix.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Process the mixture in an ice cream machine until it’s set. Enjoy!